Scraps EP Preview Scraps EP Preview

Hey man, don't worry about it. I have enough tracks to make an album and a half and just can't seem to finish anything even though all I have to do is finish one more track to make a 4 song EP.

I hate wobble bass in general but I did enjoy the more intelligent use of it here in this preview. Looking forward to the finished product.

AdamBartha responds:

I try to create something newer, more unique - this means a lot of experimenting with different styles and individual properties of different genres. Sometimes the result is good, sometimes not, you know how it is.

Sorry about the wobble bass by the way - it's the same sub (low frequency LP saw) bass as before in the song, but with manually automated resonance, filter frequency and extra distortion, due to boredom... Harmor is pretty badass.

crocodilians crocodilians

Not trying to puff you up, but when is it ever not good? :P

Appreciate it man!

Lyudmila Lyudmila

Dude, you should sing on this one. It's like a good ol' Depeche Mode song.

gobamnit responds:

Maybe some day, appreciate it dude!

Arctic Arctic

Well, it started good and then drums with too much punch for me came in and then a vocal sample and then WHAT IS THAT? OWWW, DUDE WOAH! IT'S TOTALLY DISORIENTATING MY BRAIN! NO MAN, OH! I'M FALLING OVER NOW! SOMEONE HELP! IT'S AWFUL! NOOOOO! IT JUST KEEPS GOING!!!! Oh, OK it's over now.

Look, I cannot understand how you heard this mix and thought it was good. That sidechained synth is so incrediloud it's unbearable. I can't really tell what else is going on in the track as a result. I've always hated this kind of compressed, "WOAH LOUD!" style of mixing and I've heard way too much of it during my years here on NG.

Your song isn't terrible in it's composition (I think? it's hard to listen to, period, so I'm a little unsure of myself). The percussion at 0:50 is actually pretty sweet. All the loudness needs to go and you should put a lead melody during those parts (that are currently intensely loud).

The bass drum is too loud. Your bass line synth is too quiet. Your snare is alright, but your hi hat should be on the left pan and your second snare should probably be on a 'roundpan' (moving pan) or something.

There's potential here. Just needs work and some more melodic variation.

B3yondMusic responds:

Thank you so much for this. I have been trying to make more music but haven't had any good ideas. I got this idea but couldn't figure out how to make it sound exceptionally good. Thx for this and ill work to make it fit what you said.

My rendition of 'Enjoy The Silence' My rendition of 'Enjoy The Silence'

My favourite Depeche Mode Album was Violator and I think you captured the feel of this song rather well.

The mix is a little messy, though. Might want to remove some freqs here n there, but my main gripe with this is that the melody during the chorus, or bridge, or w/e is a synth that is far too similar to the other synths being used and it becomes obscured in the soundscape. (in other words: it doesn't stick out enough).

I suggest using a different synth there. (the part that starts at 0:45). Pretty cool, though.

tallestrose responds:

I'll admit: I'm a noob when it comes to mastering songs, especially EDM tracks. I still have a lot to learn about compression and EQ, though I completely understand what you mean when it comes to the 'lead synth'. It doesn't stand out. I'll improve on that in future songs!

Thank you so much for your review, I really appreciate it! :)

Quo Quo

Do you ever make anything not good? Or can I just assume you get 5 stars every time before I even hear the song?

gobamnit responds:

ha, thanks man, appreciate the lofty compliments!

85 85

Mad chillin', mad chillin'.

Thanks man

The Banshee The Banshee

I really like this song. There, I said it. In any case, I love the atmosphere you went for here with the instrument selection. Very much a water/ice sound to it. Reminds me the old Sonic games on the Genesis.

Your percussion really makes the song, though. Greaaat selection of percussion samples!

When that chord playing synth comes in around 1:00 with the timbre modulation on it, I was impressed with the specific modulation you did to it. Very nice sound. Good to hear something tyhat is a bit different from other house songs on NG.

Your mix is good. I might put in a slight more hard panning in there, but it's your song.

One of things I thought this song needed was some more complex lead melodies. It's a little stale halfway through especially considering the length of the song. That's not to say the song itself is stale halfway through, but the melodies being presented are stale halfway through.

I think this is a good song to chill out to and I find it generally enjoyable.

MaxPoly responds:

I intend to focus on melody a bit more in my newer tracks, since that seems to be a common criticism.

Thanks for the review!

Nebula Nebula

SLICK! JUST PLAIN SLIIIIICK!

You've got yourself an amazing track there. It sounds like it came directly out of my mind (you know, that stuff I wish I could make, but it just stays stuck in my head).

Great job! Hope you move to the next round!

AdamBartha responds:

Thank You. I spent 17 hours on this - maybe worth it, we'll see.

I am made of sock I am made of sock

You've got to be kidding me. I love this. This is the house music I remember, not that new crap that people call house. I don't really have any criticisms. This is just pure awesome.

Reminds me of the first three Sonic The Hedgehog games.

PolarTrance responds:

Thank you, yeah the bass is actually really close to what the older sonic games used. I made my bass using the same synthesis aka FM, which is what the genesis used in it's synth engine.